Cory Hall


Built in 1960, and re-dedicated in honor of Dr. Ernest Cory (1887-1979) in 1992, a respected entomologist who headed the University of Maryland's Entomology Department for more than 40 years.  Dr. Cory also directed the State of Maryland’s Agricultural Extension Service for nearly two decades, and was influential in planning and developing what would later become the Chesapeake Biological Laboratory.  CBL's founder & first director, Dr. R.V. Truitt, was a student of Dr. Cory's at College Park, and was encouraged by his mentor to pursue oyster research.


Researchers working in this building measure and monitor water quality.  They are responsible for measuring levels of carbon, nitrogen and phosphorus from water samples from the Chesapeake Bay and from around the world, including Antarctica, and the southeast Pacific.