- About CBL
- Ecosystem and Restoration Science
- Fisheries Science
- Environmental Chemistry and Toxicology
- Seminar Series
- Visitors Center & Outreach
- Giving to CBL
- My CBL
- SAFETY DOCUMENTATION
Visitors Center and Outreach
The Chesapeake Biological Laboratory (CBL) is a vibrant part of the Solomons Island community where students, faculty, visitors and local residents come to learn about the natural environment.
CBL Visitors Center
- CBL Welcome Video: Who are we and what do we do?
- Chesapeake Bay Ecology Exhibit: Is the Bay healthy?
- Oyster Reef Aquarium Exhibit: What's living in the nooks and crannies of the oyster reef?
- CBL Research Exhibit: Highlights of current environmental research.
- Interactive Computer Exhibit: Remote sensing and electronic technologies used by scientists today. Weather and water data collected from the CBL Research Pier. View the osprey and underwater fish cameras.
Location and Parking Information
The Visitor Center is located in the historic Solomons House at 200 Farren Ave. Solomons, MD.
Visitor Center Information: (410) 326-7443.
There are no admission or exhibit fees for the CBL Visitor Center - we are opened to the public for free! Free parking is available in front of the visitor center, with handicap parking in the rear.
Hours of Operation
The CBL Visitor Center opens for the season on the first Friday in May. Our days and hours if operation vary seasonally:
- Calvert & St Mary's Spring Break: Everyday from Saturday, March 28th to Saturday, April 4th. Noon to 4 pm.
- May through Memorial Day: Friday, Saturday, & Sunday - Noon to 4 pm.
- Memorial Day to July: Wednesday through Sunday - Noon to 4 pm.
- July to Labor Day - Extended Hours:
- Wednesday & Thursday - Noon to 4:00 pm.
- Friday, Saturday, & Sunday - 9:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Campus Tour: Friday at 2:00 pm (see below)
- Labor Day through early December: Friday, Saturday, & Sunday - Noon to 4 pm.
- Our Visitor Center will be open for special hours during the Solomons Island Christmas Walk.
Free Campus Tours are offered to the public on Fridays at 2 pm from June through the end of November. These tours last approximately 1 hour and depart from the Visitor Center. Please arrive 15 minutes early for tours. Because this is a working lab, Campus Tours will not include access to our actual laboratories. Children must be age 12 and over and accompanied by a responsible adult. Some areas on the tours may not be handicap accessible as many of our campus building are historic structures.
Group Tours are an excellent way to learn about our work here at the Chesapeake Biological Laboratory. These pre-arranged tours can be tailored to match the specific interests of your group, allow for a more immersive experience, and provide a behind-the-scenes look at lab research. Contact the Outreach Coordinator at least two weeks in advance to arrange group tours throughout the year.
Greet visitors at the visitor center, conduct campus tours, participate in community outreach events, and assist in the library. Volunteer now!
For more information about the CBL Visitor Center, Campus Tours, and Volunteer Opportunities, please contact:OUTREACH COORDINATOR (410) 326-7460