University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science (UMCES) is currently seeking to hire an experienced Budget Analyst for the Integration & Application Network (IAN) program located in Cambridge, MD.
The Budget Analyst will be responsible for the accounting of grants/contracts funding, state operating and revolving accounts to assure compliance with federal, state and UMCES policies and regulations. The incumbent will be responsible for assuring the appropriateness of charges as well as monitoring budgets and forecasting projections and assist in coordination and planning that supports the strategic business initiatives for IAN.
The primary duty of this position is to provide day-to-day maintenance of budgets based on an awareness of the status of department or unit funding sources, including the following: monthly account reconciliation, ongoing monitoring of expenses, preparing various internal/external financial ledgers and reports, processing travel expenses, coordinating requisitions and invoice payment, initiating cost transfers and other duties as assigned. A list of duties include:
· Review travel documentation and receipts for appropriateness and prepare travel expense statements for faculty as needed.
· Assist in developing budgets and budget projections, based on a basic knowledge of funding sources, by performing basic calculations and analyses, generating standard reports, and applying approved processes and procedures.
· Monitor post award budgets based on established processes and procedures.
· Process budget reallocations and requisitions for purchase orders and sub-awards.
· Review and process payroll and accounting transactions and verify expenditures against approved budgets to ensure compliance with university guidelines and/or sponsor requirements and restrictions.
· Assist Principal Investigators (PI’s) in the preparation of routine, standard, and ad-hoc reports for sponsoring agencies.
· Oversee the data entry and maintenance of budget monitoring system (ITWorks)
· Assist with inputting grant and contract proposals into Cayuse as needed including gathering documents, formatting documents, and developing budgets.
A Bachelor’s Degree and minimum of three years of experience examining, analyzing and interpreting grant related budgets are required. Experience in contract & grant administration for higher education is preferred. The analyst must have the ability to work in an independent, self-directed manner, and within preset deadlines.
This is an exempt, full-time position with full UMCES benefits. Salary will be based on experience and demonstrated skills. Interested applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for three references in a single PDF file to email@example.com with Budget Analyst in the subject field. Review of applicants will begin immediately and the position will remain open until filled.
UMCES is an AA/EOE. Individuals with disabilities, veterans, minorities and women are encouraged to apply.