Dr. Donald Boesch - National Commission on the BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill and Offshore Drilling
On June 14, 2010, Dr. Boesch was appointed by President Barack Obama as one of seven members of the National Commission on the BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill and Offshore Drilling, tasked with providing recommendations on how we can prevent – and mitigate the impact of – any future spills that result from offshore drilling. The Commission completed its report on January 11, 2011.
- President Obama’s televised address announcing the Commission.
- President’s Executive Order establishing the Commission.
- Dr. Boesch’s opening statement at the first meeting of the Commission - July 12, 2010
- Oil Spill Commission Final Report - Deep Water: The Gulf Oil Disaster and the Future of Offshore Drilling - January 11, 2011
- Dr. Boesch testified before the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee’s Subcommittee on Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation and Subcommittee on Water Resources and Environment. Testimony (.pdf) | Testimony Background (.pdf)
- Dr. Boesch Discusses the Commission's Findings with Sheilah Kast on NPR-affiliate WYPR - January 14, 2011
Federal websites related to the oil spill:
- White House Deepwater BP Oil Spill
- Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill Joint Analysis Group
- NOAA Deepwater Horizon/BP Oil Spill Response
- EPA Response to BP Spill in the Gulf of Mexico
- National Science Foundation Rapid Response Grants
- USGS Responds to Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill
- FWS Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill Response
- Bureau of Ocean Energy Management Deepwater Horizon Incident
Images from Dr. Boesch's Visit to the Louisiana Gulf Coast on July 10 and 11, 2010
Commissioners Dr. Fran Ulmer and Dr. Donald Boesch at the August 25, 2010 National Commission on the BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill and Offshore Drilling meeting in Washington, DC. Image by Jay Mallin.
Related Links about Dr. Boesch: