The Integration and Application Network (IAN; ian.umces.edu) seeks a science communication intern to join a dynamic group of Science Integrators and Science Communicators at the University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science (www.umces.edu) and assist in the creation of effective science communication videos. This position will support IAN's goal of not just studying but solving environmental problems through data synthesis and science communication.
Expected qualifications and skills:
This internship is targeted to graduate or advanced undergraduate students with backgrounds in science and communication. A degree in biology, environmental science, or related field is required. Interns are expected to work with a variety of software packages including Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, and GIS applications. Training will be provided, but familiarity with these products is preferable.
Responsibilities and duties:
The science communication intern will have multiple duties depending on their qualifications and interests. Tasks may include:
- editing text, photos, and videos,
- creating new vector images and conceptual diagrams
- conducting data analysis with Excel and R
- plotting spatial data and preparing maps
- creating print-ready InDesign documents
- working with media outlets such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Vimeo, etc.
- creating high quality videos with After Effects and Adobe Premiere Pro
Included in internship:
This is a contractual, hourly appointment. The chosen candidate will receive a competitive hourly wage and subsidized healthcare benefits may be available depending on number of hours worked. Additionally, interns will gain valuable skills in science communication, including desktop publishing, spatial analysis, environmental assessment, and effective communication. The team provides a dynamic, fun, and exciting atmosphere, as well as a chance to work on some of the most pressing local, national, and global environmental problems.
This position will be located in Cambridge, Maryland or Annapolis, Maryland, based on the needs of the team. Send applications to email@example.com by July 30th, 2021.
September 1st or sooner. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Applications should include the following items:
- A letter of interest including a clear statement of why you would like to participate in this internship
- A Curriculum Vitae including three references (with email and phone contact information)
- A writing sample
- Portfolio if applicable (with layout/design or video work you’ve done)
UMCES is an AA/EOE. Individuals with disabilities, veterans, minorities and women are encouraged to apply.
Integration and Application Network
Friday, July 30, 2021