My lab combines molecular and chemical techniques to answer biogeochemical questions. In particular, we study the affect of sinking particles on anaerobic nitrogen cycle using metagenomics, metaproteomics and in situ nitrogen gas measurements.
Why Care About Oxygen Minimum Zones?
- All organisms need a source of nitrogen. In anaerobic environments, usuable nitrogen is converted to N2 gas and lost from the ocean. The extent of Oxygen Minimum Zones should increase with warmer temperatures, potentially increasing N loss.
- The greenhouse gas N2O accumulates under low but measurable oxygen.
- Oxygen Minimum Zones and the Black Sea are modern analogs for the ancient Proterozoic Ocean, which lasted for over a billion years.
- Microbes in low oxygen environments are under studied and weird (and awesome!)
Areas of Expertise
- Marine Microbiology
- Oxygen Minimum Zones
- The Nitrogen Cycle
- University of Washington, 2010, PhD in Oceanography
- University of Washington, 2010, Certificate in Astrobiology
- Swarthmore College, 2001, BA in Biochemistry with High Honors
- Frontiers in Microbiology2017
- Deep Sea Research II2018