About the Chesapeake Biological Laboratory Visitor Center
The Chesapeake Biological Laboratory (CBL) Visitor Center, located on the first floor of the historic Solomons House, offers guests the opportunity to explore exhibits highlighting the health of the Chesapeake Bay, environmental research, and an oyster reef aquarium. Visitors will discover who CBL scientists are, what they are researching, and why it is important. Our exhibits include:
- Welcome Video: Who are we?
- Research Features: What do we do & why is it important?
- The Chesapeake Bay: Is the Bay healthy?
- Patuxent River Aquarium: What fish species live in the waters surrounding the CBL research pier?
- Watershed Model: What is a watershed, and how do human actions on land impact water quality?
- Chesapeake DolphinWatch: Where have dolphins been seen recently in the Chesapeake Bay?
- Research Videos: What do CBL graduate students study?
Hours of Operation
The CBL Visitor Center is currently closed. We hope to reopen by Fall 2023.
The CBL Visitor Center will is open during Calvert & St. Mary's County Public School Spring breaks, and from Memorial Day Weekend through the first weekend in December. Our hours of operation are:
- 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. on Fridays
- 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. on Saturdays
- 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. on Sundays
Plan Your Visit
- Visitor Center Information: (410) 326-7443
- There are no admission or exhibit fees for the CBL Visitor Center
- The CBL Visitor Center is located in the historic Solomons House at 200 Farren Ave., Solomons, Maryland 20688
- Free parking is available in front of the Visitor Center, with handicap parking in the back.
To Learn More About CBL
- Participate in the Chesapeake Biological Laboratory's Science for Communities Webinar Series
- Sign-up to receive emails about upcoming Chesapeake Biological Laboratory events and exciting news
- View live-quality videos of past Science for Communities seminars
- Learn about our Wave of Plastic curricular unit for middle school students
- Explore the Virtual Science Semester resources, including behind-the-scenes videos and interviews