Updated August 25, 2021
We are in phase 2.5 of our Return to Campus Plan.
UMCES has decided to maintain the status quo into September.
There will be no changes in the way we are currently operating until further notice.
We will continue to assess current conditions and update safety requirements as needed.
Masks are required in all indoors spaces.
Weekly testing is mandatory for unvaccinated employees.
Weekly Testing for Unvaccinated Employees Guidance & FAQs
RETURN TO CAMPUS CHECKLIST
- Vaccinations are mandatory beginning September 2021. It is recommended to get your vaccination as possible in order to be fully vaccinated in time for the fall semester.
- Testing is not necessary if fully vaccinated and proof of vaccination has been provided to email@example.com.
MONITOR YOUR HEALTH DAILY
- If you are feeling ill, DO NOT come on the campus or in the field and notify your supervisor
- Masks are required in all indoor common spaces and outdoor space when within 3 feet of colleagues.
Protocols and Procedures to Protect the Health and Safety of Employees
Researchers, staff, and graduate students who have been fully vaccinated and voluntarily disclose it (with a photo) to firstname.lastname@example.org, no longer need to follow UMCES testing, travel, and quarantine guidance unless they have symptoms. Daily health monitoring protocols will remain in effect. In order to mitigate the spread of the highly contagious Delta variant, UMCES requires weekly testing for employees who have not been vaccinated.
Daily Symptoms Check
We are asking that everyone, regardless of vaccination status, to monitor your own health carefully on a daily basis:
- If you are feeling ill, DO NOT come on the campus or in the field and notify your supervisor.
- If you have an increased temperature, DO NOT come on the campus or in the field and notify your supervisor.
- If you test positive for COVID, DO NOT come on the campus or in the field and notify your supervisor.
- If you have come into close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID, DO NOT come on the campus or in the field and notify your supervisor.
Beginning on August 3, the following rules related to mask wearing are in place:
- For those vaccinated: Masking is required in all indoor common areas. Work bubbles may be formed with the approval of the Unit Director. Vehicles and boats can be shared amongst vaccinated colleagues.
- For those unvaccinated: Masks are required in all indoor common spaces and outdoor space when within 3 feet of colleagues. Vehicles cannot be shared. Weekly testing is required and must be submitted to HR@umces.edu. Failure to comply with either mask wearing or testing guidelines may result in personnel actions.
- For those who have received exemptions from COVID vaccinations: Masks are required in all indoor common spaces and outdoor space when within 3 feet of colleagues. Vehicles cannot be shared. Weekly testing is still required and must be submitted to HR@umces.edu. Failure to comply with either mask wearing or testing guidelines may result in personnel actions.
Social distancing of at least 3 feet is required as much as possible. It is understood that there are circumstances when social distancing is not possible to perform work tasks. In these situations, as mentioned above, a KN95/N95 mask shall be properly worn (covering both nose and mouth) by the researcher, staff, or student.
A work bubble may be formed by a request of the supervisor to the Unit Director. The Unit Director determines whether to permit formation of a work bubble to allow closer spacing between individuals.
In order to mitigate the spread of the highly contagious Delta variant, UMCES will require weekly testing for employees who have not been vaccinated. A negative test result must be submitted to email@example.com by Monday morning each week before coming to campus, regardless of exemption status. Employees may continue to use regular work hours to get tested, and if a fee is required, it will be reimbursed through your unit business office. MD COVID-19 TESTING SITES
Those who received exemption from vaccination must still meet the weekly testing requirement before coming to campus. Testing is not necessary if fully vaccinated and proof of vaccination has been provided to firstname.lastname@example.org.
COVID Vaccination Mandate for USM Students, Faculty, and Staff (April 23, 2021)
For more information, contact Lisa Ross at email@example.com.
No changes in teleworking procedures for non-essential staff until further notice.
People at Risk for Serious Illness from COVID-19
The CDC has identified conditions that may make individuals at high risk for COVID-19 and have issued recommendations to reduce their risk.If you believe you are in a high risk category and require special accommodations on campus, please contact your supervisor or Lisa Ross at firstname.lastname@example.org, 410-221-2017, or Associate Director of your Unit.
Hiring Freeze and Exception Process
UMCES has implemented a hiring freeze for all vacant faculty, regular and contingent I and II exempt and non-exempt staff positions. For details, please consult the Hiring Pause and Exception Notice.
For questions and to find out more information contact Lisa Ross, Director of Human Resources directly at email@example.com.
For domestic work travel, no special permission of the Unit Director is necessary beyond filing a Travel Advance Request (TAR).
International work travel requires approval of the Unit Director and should follow CDC, U.S. State Department, and State of Maryland regulations. Upon return, the Unit Director may request a negative COVID test and/or apply other restrictions on access to common-use areas and facilities, on a case-by-case basis depending upon the location of the travel.
The default mode of instruction for classes during the Fall Semester will be via Zoom. Faculty members who wish to teach using a video classroom at their site may do so with approval of the Unit leadership. Students can also use classrooms if it aids in their connectivity with approval of their Unit leadership. When using a classroom, please wear masks and maintain at least 3 ft of social distancing. Graduate students working on laboratory and field research must follow the guidelines set forth in the Return to Campus Plan.
For questions or concerns, contact the UMCES Vice President for Education’s office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New visiting scholars and collaborators are allowed on site but must provide proof of vaccination.