In addition to gifts made online, donors to the University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science can also consider these other gift vehicles.
- Gifts by Check: Payable to the UMCES Foundation; you can designate your support to a specific laboratory or program.
- Gifts of Securities: You can donate shares of stocks or bonds directly. Please call the number below for instructions. Remember, if your securities have appreciated in value, it's best to donate them directly and avoid the tax that would occur if you sell them. Conversely, if the securities have depreciated in value, sell them, take a tax loss and then make your gift.
- Gifts of IRA Shares: If you are aged 70 and 1/2 or older, you can donate shares of your IRA and avoid the tax that has been deferred and take a tax deduction. This is a double benefit.
- Estate Gifts: You can leave a specific dollar amount or a residual percentage of your estate as designated in your last will and testament. You can also benefit your heirs through trusts that pay a dividend during your lifetime. Remember, always consult with your attorney or accountant when considering gifts of this kind.
- Gifts of Real Estate or other property: Some donors wish to give real property, even artwork or other tangible assets, instead of cash contributions. In most instances, homes or acreage is sold immediately after such a gift is made to support the Center's work. Artwork or other assets would need to be assessed for value by the donor before donation.
- Life Estates: Some people elect to stay in their home as long as they are able, but bequeath the property to a designated charity upon the donor's death. As with other real estate or trust arrangements, one should seek the counsel of an attorney or estate planning expert before making such a gift.
For more information, contact us at 410-221-2005 or email@example.com.