Horn Point Laboratory Open House
October 14, 11 a.m. -4 p.m.
2020 Horn Point Road, Cambridge, MD
Free and open to all. Rain or shine.
Join us for this year’s Open House at the Horn Point Laboratory. Learn about cutting edge research our faculty and graduate students conduct in the Chesapeake Bay and across the world's oceans. Explore environmental science through exhibits, presentations, and hands-on activities. Visit one of the East Coast's largest oyster hatcheries to explore the iconic oyster from baby spat to restoration sanctuaries. Games and free t-shirts for the kids and food for all provided by Ruritans. This is a great family event, so plan to spend some time with us and learn about the world of a marine scientist.
“This is the best day of the year for the community to learn about the science of the Bay. Everyone at the lab is on deck to explain their research with activities and displays that make it easy to understand,” said Horn Point Laboratory Director Mike Sieracki.
- Play in a digital sand box to create shorelines and model weather’s impact around the Bay with laser imaging.
- See an animation of the travels of oyster larvae as they move from the reef where they spawned to their new, permanent home reef.
- Match up a DNA sequence to microscopic creatures important to the food chain.
- Build a bracelet to match genetic codes Build a healthy marsh and learn who are our best partners in this effort.
- Meet and talk to graduate students about their environmental career goals.
- At the children’s activity booth, create eco-friendly animals that live in our waters. Play games that teach fun facts about the Bay.
- Go on a scavenger hunt through the exhibits to learn how the Bay’s lasting health starts with each of us making a cleaner environment today.
Free t-shirts for all children who complete the scavenger hunt. FREE!
Questions? Contact Carin Starr 410-221-8408 or email@example.com