UMCES Virtual Library
How to use:
All faculty and registered students have full access to UMCP and UMCES library journals and books. Each library has separate login methods. Visitors can only access UMCES library resources.
UMCES library: (has several some journals specific to UMCES library only - ex. ICES Journal of Marine Science)
To Access on your computer or campus computers:
- ON-CAMPUS: Full access to UMCES online journals, books and databases.
- OFF-CAMPUS: VPN for direct access to UMCES library e-journals.
- OFF-CAMPUS without VPN: Login page opens up and 14 digit barcode required
- UMCES: 2610xxxxxxxxxx assigned by librarian OR
- UMCP: 2143xxxxxxxxxx assigned upon registration and ID card pick-up
Start Search Here
For UMCES library search box, start here:
- Know journal name you are looking for? Scroll down to E-journals on this web page.
- Know article you want? Scroll down to Fetch Item below on this web page.
- Know article you want? Ex. Web of Science (scroll down)
For College Park UMCP library:- https://www.lib.umd.edu/
- requires CAS/MFA credentials (ex. DUO on cell phone)
- great resources on library research – see FIND & CITE tab
- Can do same at UMCP library site:
Borrowing Books From Other Libraries
UMCES is subscribed to the following databases:
- Historical Newspapers package (PROQUEST)
- Baltimore African American 1893-1988
- Baltimore Sun 1990 to current
- Baltimore Sun 1837-1992
- Christian Science Monitor 1988-current
- New York Times 1980-current
- New York Times with Index 1851-2014
- Wall Street Journal 1984-current
- Wall Street Journal 1889-2000
- Washington Post 1987-current
- Washington Post 1877-2001
Other (Databases including some Science journals):
- Academic Search Ultimate - Multidisciplinary subjects including: social sciences, humanities, education, computer sciences, engineering, physics, chemistry, language, literature, medicine, ethnic studies. 1965-present
- CINAHL - Covers nursing, biomedicine, health sciences librarianship, alternative complementary medicine, consumer health and allied health disciplines. 1937-present
- MASTERFILE Premier - Multidisciplinary subjects including general reference, business, education, health, general science, multi-cultural issues, biography, and travel. 1975-present
Dissertations & Theses
How to set up the Google Scholar library FINDIT links
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted materials. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be “used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research.” If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of “fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. The HPL Library reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgement, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
For further copyright information, visit the Copyright Clearance Center.
For UMCES Library Help
Chesapeake Biological Laboratory Library
Solomons, MD 20688-0038
Phone: (410) 326-7287
Fax: (410) 326-7430