The University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science offers online learning that gives you the flexibility to interact with content, faculty, and learning communities in the ways that best meet your needs. We provide a comprehensive range of high-quality, accessible, and affordable educational opportunities through our partnership with edX, a Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) provider where courses can be audited free or you can choose to receive a verified certificate for a small fee.
- You will create your personal philosophy for advising policy-makers, business leaders, and other environmental stakeholders on issues related to environmental management and sustainability.
- How to use case-study analyses to develop effective recommendations for best-practice environmental policy.
- How to communicate scientific findings that are accessible and compelling to all target audiences.
- How to develop comprehensive socio-environmental report cards that explain complicated systems in a format geared toward action.
- How to identify and critique features of science communication products that utilize effective visualization and narrative techniques.
- How to produce appealing data visualization that avoid ‘chart junk’ or ‘map clutter’.
- How to articulate a succinct, captivating narrative using the ‘and, but, therefore’ template.
- How to develop a compelling science communication product that integrates best-practice visualizations and concise narrative.
- How to assess the scientific issues and management approaches of ecosystems varying in size, population, maturity and complexity.
- How to determine the most effective use of science to impact management approaches across a range of environmental challenges.
- Create a suite of practical approaches for managing diverse sustainability and resiliency issues.
- The various roles of scientists across the spectrum of engagement with environmental management.
- The different cultures of science and policy and the different roles of scientists in engaging in environmental management.
- Science and management engagement strategies that capitalize on personal strengths.
- How to compare and contrast different environmental approaches and socio-environmental report cards.
- How to critique the different approaches used in environmental assessments and socio-environmental report cards.
- How to create image-rich socio-environmental report cards that are accessible to a wide and diverse audience.
- How to create a reporting framework for a case study to generate a socio-environmental report cards.
- Stakeholder Outreach: Effectively communicating complex environmental and societal threats.
- Stakeholder Collaboration: Organizing for environmental justice, shared vision, and equitable solutions.
- Co-Production: Addressing complexity through adaptive management for environmental projects.
- Identify and critique features of environmental management communication products that utilize effective visualization and narrative techniques
- Produce appealing data and technical visualizations that avoid ‘chart junk’ or ‘map clutter’
- Articulate succinct, captivating narratives for different audiences
- Develop a compelling environmental management communication product that integrates best-practice visualizations and concise narrative
- Identify and target different groups of stakeholders for environmental management projects
- Develop a shared vision for environmental outcomes with diverse stakeholders
- Collaborate, manage conflicts and employ persuasion and presence with diverse stakeholders in person, and in a virtual or hybrid work environments
- Embrace digital approaches with stakeholder engagement practices
- Assess the scientific and technical issues and management approaches of projects varying in size and complexity
- Determine the most effective use of science and technical information to impact management approaches across a range of environmental issues
- Build and maintain working relationships with project team members in person, and in virtual or hybrid work environments
- Develop project delivery approaches for complex, multi-organization teams