Today, the Center’s research is needed more than ever when we look at the challenge of environmental sustainability. As our state, region, nation and world develop, it’s critical that our leaders remain vigilant of maintaining sustainable relationships among people, natural resources and the environment. It’s equally critical that they are able to rely on UMCES cadre of objective experts to provide the best scientific understanding of the problems at hand.
While our research helps others live more sustainably, it’s essential that we lead by example. The University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science is a signatory to the American College & University Presidents’ Climate Commitment (Second Nature) and has launched several programs aimed at reducing our environmental footprint:
- Our Climate Action Plan outlines the steps we will be taking to reduce our environmental impact.
- We have taken greenhouse gas inventories and set goals for reducing emissions at each of our laboratories.
- We have upgraded aging infrastructure to newer, more energy-efficient alternatives by working with Constellation Energy. Recently signed agreements will save both energy and reduce costs over the next 15 years.
- All new campus construction will be built to at least the U.S. Green Building Council's LEED Silver standard or equivalent.
- We will purchase or produce at least 15% of our institution's electricity consumption from renewable sources.
- We are a member of the Maryland Green Registry.
In addition to leading the Center’s efforts, President Peter Goodwin also leads the University System of Maryland’s 12-campus sustainability effort as the system’s Vice Chancellor for Sustainability.
Through our work as researchers and advisors, the Center’s work not only stretches the bounds of our scientific understanding, but also feeds our imagination, encouraging society to find new ways to ensure that our future is a sustainable one.
UMCES Environmental Sustainability Council (ESC) Members:
- Ray Cho, Director of Facilities Administration (CA - Chair)
- Mike Allen, Assoc. Director for Research & Admin. (MD Sea Grant)
- Eric Schott, Research Assistant Professor (IMET)
- Barb Jenkins, Senior Research Administrator (AL)
- Kristen Harper, Program Management Specialist (AL)
- Cat Stylinski, Senior Agent (AL)
- Jenna Linhart, Research Staff (AL)
- Stephanie Siemek, Graduate Student (AL)
- Stacy Hutchinson, Assoc. Director, Administration (CBL)
- Lora Harris, Associate Professor (CBL)
- Jeff Miley, Asst. Director for Facilities (HPL)
- Judy O'neil, Research Associate Professor (HPL)
- Melanie Jackson, Graduate Research Assistant (HPL)