HPL Professor Emeritus Tom Malone, and co-editors Alenka Malej, and Jadran Faganelli recently published an important book, “Coastal Ecosystems in Transition: A Comparative Analysis of the Northern Adriatic and Chesapeake Bay”. Several HPL faculty were contributors.
The book presents an update of a study published two decades ago. Revisiting these two ecosystems provides an opportunity to assess changing anthropogenic pressures in the context of global climate change. The new insights can be used to inform ecosystem-based approaches to sustainable development of coastal environments.
The book highlights the following topics:
- Effects of nutrient enrichment and climate-driven changes on critical coastal habitats
- Patterns of stratification and circulation
- Food web dynamics from phytoplankton to fish
- Nutrient cycling, water quality, and harmful algal events
- Causes and consequences of interannual variability
Its publisher, The American Geophysical Union, promotes discovery in earth and space science for the benefit of humanity. Its publications disseminate scientific knowledge and provide resources for researchers, students, and professionals.