Submitting a Proposal through the University System of Maryland Foundation (USMF)
Some sponsors require that funding goes directly to a non-profit agency. While UMCES is not in the business of turning a profit, we are not considered a non-profit/ 501(c)(3). The USM Foundation is a non-for-profit corporation separate from the USM, classified as a public charity by the IRS under sections 509(a)(1) and 170(b)(1)(A)(iv) of the Internal Revenue Code. The USMF meets the requirements of a section 501(c)(3) corporation and gifts to the Foundation are tax deductible. USMF can submit proposals and accept awards on our behalf. Awards accepted on our behalf by the Foundation are then redirected to UMCES via a "grant-back."
NOTE: USMF requests a lead time of at least one week (5 business days) for proposal review and endorsement. Please allow this additional time when preparing your proposal.
USMF Proposal Submission Steps
- Prepare and route the proposal through Cayuse as normal, adding the Vice President for Institutional Advancement into the routing chain after ORAA.
- Note in the summary comments that the sponsor requires a 501(c)(3) entity so the proposal must be routed through the USM Foundation.
- Use the USMF Cover Page Template (below). ORAA does not sign these proposals so there is no signature line on the cover page.
- Once the proposal is routed through Cayuse, ORAA prepares an authorization letter to the USMF, providing UMCES ORAA approval and asking for USMF endorsement of the proposal.
- The authorization letter, USMF cover page, and the full proposal are submitted to USMF for review.
- After review, USMF returns the proposal documents to ORAA with a letter addressed to the sponsor giving the Foundation's endorsement of the project.
- UMCES ORAA submits the proposal to the sponsor with the USMF endorsement letter and other supporting documents as required.