The Chesapeake Biological Laboratory Visitor Center offers guests the opportunity to explore exhibits highlighting the health of the Chesapeake Bay, ongoing research, and an oyster reef community aquarium. Visitors will discover who CBL scientist are, what they are researching, and why it is important. Visitor Center exhibits include:
- Welcome video: Who are we and what do we do?
- Chesapeake Bay Ecology Exhibit: Is the Bay healthy?
- Oyster Reef Aquarium: What lives in the nooks and crannies of an oyster reef?
- Research Exhibit: Highlights of current research.
- Making Waves with CBL Students: Select short videos to learn about graduate student research, in their own words.
- Interactive Computer Exhibit: Weather and water data collected from the CBL research pier and more.
Hours of Operation
Hours of operation at the CBL Visitor Center vary seasonally:
- The CBL Visitor Center closes for the winter season
- Calvert & St Mary's Spring Break: Monday, March 26 - Saturday, March 31st from 9:30am to 4:30pm.
- May through Memorial Day: Friday, Saturday, & Sunday from 9:30am to 4:30pm
- June through September: Wednesday - Sunday from 9:30am to 4:30pm
- October through November: Friday, Saturday, & Sunday from 9:30am to 4:30pm
- December: Special hours during the Solomons Island Christmas Walk
Plan Your Visit
Visitor Center Information: (410) 326-7443.
There are no admission or exhibit fees for the CBL Visitor Center.
The CBL Visitor Center is located in the historic Solomons House at 200 Farren Ave., Solomons, Maryland 20688. View a Campus Map.
Free parking is available in front of the Visitor Center, with handicap parking in the back.
Free campus tours are offered to the public on Fridays at 2:00 pm from June through October. These tours last approximately one hour and depart from the CBL Visitor Center. Please arrive 15 minutes early for tours. Because CBL is a working lab, campus tours will not include access to our actual laboratories. Children must be age 12 and over and accompanied by a responsible adult. Some areas on the tours may not be handicap accessible as many of our campus building are historic structures. Call the CBL Visitor Center at (410) 326-7443 to confirm Campus Tour availability.