Dr. Yantao Li received his B.S. from Nanjing University, P.R. China and Ph.D. from the University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong. He was a Postdoctoral Researcher at the School of Biological Sciences at the University of Hong Kong and subsequently at the Department of Applied Biological Sciences at Arizona State University. Beginning in 2009 Dr. Li served as an Assistant research professor at Arizona State University. He assumed his present position in 2012 as Assistant Professor for the Institute of Marine and Environmental Technology (IMET) at the University System of Maryland.
Dr. Li’s research interest is in the area of microalgal biology and biotechnology, with the goal to understand lipid synthesis, turnover, and lipid body biogenesis in microalgae, to rationally engineer algae for biofuel and high-value products such as carotenoids and omega-3 fatty acids, and to biochemically convert algal feedstock into biofuels.
Areas of Expertise
- Micoalgal molecular biology and lipid biochemistry
- Rational engineering for biofuels and bioproducts
- Carbon sequestration and environmental bioremediation
- The University of Hong Kong, 2007, Ph.D., Microbial Biotechnology
- Nanjing University, P.R. China, 2002, B.S. Plant Biology
- Molecular Plant2018
- Biotechnology Advances2016
- The Plant Journal2016
- Journal of Applied Phycology2016