About the Internship
The University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science (UMCES) at Institute of Marine and Environmental Technology (IMET) recognizes that there continues to be underrepresentation of several groups entering graduate programs in the fields of biology and environmental science. To provide training opportunities to a diverse body of undergraduates with a long term goal of providing a strong pipeline of students continuing to higher degrees in these fields, we are offering summer undergraduate internships from June 4, 2018 to August 3, 2018.
Each summer, the Institute of Marine and Environmental Technology at the Inner Harbor offers students the opportunity to conduct a nine-week project research in marine sciences applying molecular tools. The summer internship will provide orientation to working in a lab, seminars on the use of molecular techniques relevant to fisheries, energy production, and environmental research, introductions to bioanalytics and DNA-sequencing, a research project with an IMET faculty mentor, and a one-day workshop on communicating science.
Applications are currently closed.
- Interns will be compensated at $13/hr for a 40hr work week, each of the nine weeks of the program
- Dormitory accomodations at UMBC will be provided to students coming from outside the Baltimore Metropolitan Area
- MTA passes will be provided for local travel in the Baltimore area
To be eligible for participation in this summer internship, students must:
- Be a United States citizen or permanent resident
- Have a G.P.A. of 3.0 or above
- Enrolled as an undergraduate in fields related to biological sciences
To be considered for the summer internship, students must submit all of the following documents and information:
- Completed Summer Internship Application
- Personal Statement of Interest (may not exceed 500 words)
- Unofficial transcripts