Faculty Senate Function
The UMCES Faculty Senate in partnership with the President and Administration (1) develops and reviews UMCES practices, programs, and policies related to faculty governance; (2) aids in strategic planning and development; and (3) participates in reviews of UMCES leadership. The Senate organizes an annual Convocation to review UMCES activities and policies, introduce new faculty, celebrate faculty achievement, and address topical issues related to faculty development and performance.
Faculty Senate Representatives
The Senate is elected by the entire faculty and represents all research faculty ranks, both tenure and non-tenure tracks. Senate membership policy ensures that all UMCES units are represented: two members each from AL, CBL, HPL, and one member from IMET. Ex officio members of the Senate include the President, Vice President for Education, and Graduate Student and Faculty Research Assistant representatives. The Senate Chairman sits on the UMCES Administrative Council and is ex officio on the Graduate Faculty Council. The Chairman serves on the USM Faculty Chairs Committee and the Council of University System Faculty.
Faculty Senate Chair
Andrew Elmore, Appalachian Laboratory
Graduate Faculty Council Representatives
Faculty Senate Meetings
The UMCES Faculty Senate meets at least four times yearly in person or over the interactive video network. The Senate organizes the UMCES Convocation held each year during May.
- Meeting Minutes, September 2021
- Meeting Minutes, May 2021
- Meeting Minutes, March 2021
- Meeting minutes, February 2021
- Meeting minutes, August 2020
- Meeting minutes, May 2020
- Meeting minutes, February 2020
- Meeting minutes, September 2019
- Meeting minutes, May 2019
- Meeting minutes, February 2019
- Meeting minutes, November 2018
- Meeting minutes, July 2018
- Meeting minutes, May 2018
- Meeting minutes, February 2018
- Senate update, March 2017
- Meeting minutes, January 2017
- Meeting minutes, April 2017
- Meeting minutes, September 2017
- Meeting minutes, October 2017
- Meeting minutes, December 2017
Faculty Senate Committees
The Senate involves UMCES faculty in working groups related to Senate work. Current working groups focus on faculty performance and development.